Thursday, April 02, 2015

Baked Bloomin' Onion


When I think of a Bloomin' Onion I think about deep fried and smothered in calories. I don't even know what chain restaurants have these on their menu anymore but I know they do. I'm all too familiar with onion rings myself. When I was a kid it was one of my favorite things to order off the menu and it was the best dipping them in thick sauce. Oh the glory days! I saw a bloomin' onion on my Pinterest feed and thought I'd give a go yet make it in a "healthier" way. It's easy to see things and think we can't make them because they are unhealthy but there are always ways to alter recipes to make them suit our lifestyle. I love making lighter versions because it shows my family that things can still taste good without having to deep fry and smother things with salt!


Ingredients:

1 large Vidalia onions or 2 medium Vidalia onions
1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1/2 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 eggs

Directions:
pre-heat oven 400 degrees

1. Start off with cutting the top of the onion off, just about 1/4 inch off the top so that the layers of the onion are showing. Do not cut the "root" of the onion! Peel the onion and take of the outermost layer of the onion as well. Clean it well.

2. Cut onion like you would a pie, cutting deep enough to not cut through the root but deep enough so that the pieces fold outwards. If you find that you didn't cut deep enough you can use a smaller knife to help you. Place cut onions in a bowl full off cold water. Make sure they are immersed, not sure why but this tip helps with allowing the onion to "bloom" or open up. I let mine sit in the water for about half an hour.

3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the panko, flour, garlic salt and paprika. In another bowl whisk together the eggs. Take the onions out of the water and let them air dry on a paper towel. Next, dip onion into egg. Utilize a brush to help coat the onion with egg! Then dip onion in the flour mixture. Coat it as well as you can.

4. Place onion on to a baking sheet and drizzle olive oil over top of the onion. Baked for 30 minutes. Or until the onion is golden brown.


Of course it's going to have a different look and effect to these onions since they aren't truly breaded or batter and deep fried but that doesn't mean they don't taste phenomenal! If not better! Although you can enjoy them on their own you can surly whip together a quick dipping sauce to go along with it. I make a simple Creamy Hickory Sauce. Just mix together some mayo and hickory BBQ sauce. Easy! Or if you're like me and want it to be a bit lighter use plain greek yogurt instead of mayo. Here you have it. Make a Baked Bloomin' Onion for dinner and surprise the family. They will be impressed. Mine were!

No comments :

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY BELLA LULU INK